I used to go to church every Sunday. This one day in 8th grade we sat next to this old lady in the back. I had to sit next to her on the end. I was irritated at that. But I looked at her and she smiled so I guess she's not that bad. Mass went on and I was like hm why am I even mad sitting next to this lady that's dumb. Towards the end it was time to give the sign of peace. And I decided that it was stupid for me to be unhappy sitting next to her and I was going to give this woman my peace. And I turned to her with this true soul smile. And she shook my hand and she said
"don't ever loose that smile."
She said it with a weight, a heaviness of a deeper meaning. With her eyes and her own smile. And I told her "I won't" and I turned back to church, incredibly touched. Like this woman knew me. knew that I spent mass holding back my smile, the essence of my self.

It felt so purposeful. She was telling me specifically. A message. A minute later I looked over to say a thank you of some kind. She was gone. She had literally disappeared like an angel. She was only their to remind me of who I am.

It's just a matter of being open enough to realize it.

It meant more that she had left. She was only there to communicate that message to me. And I have lived that message everyday in the back of my mind. That's why you see the Brittney you see today. Because an old soul had once reminded me who I am.

Let this be a reminder today of who you are.


Comments

Popular Posts